1. Earth: (The Book) A Visitors Guide to the Human Race by Jon Stewart
Our species via "The Daily Show".
2. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow
God and quantum theory.
3. Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward
A glimpse behind the presidents military decisions.
4. Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
A revealing portrait of our founding father.
5. Life by Keith Richards with James Fox
The seemingly-eternal musician shares his life as a Rolling Stone.
6. At Home by Bill Bryson
What the rooms in our homes reveal about us.
7. Autobiography of Mark Twain by Mark Twain (edited by Harriet E. Smith)
Newly unexpurgated, this first volume commemorates the 100 anniversary of Twain's death.
8. The Last Boy by Jane Leavy
The rise and fall of Yankee great, Mickey Mantle.
9. The Wave by Susan Casey
The science and surfers of the ocean's gnarliest waves.
10. Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle
A Jesuit priest recounts working with L.A. youth through his gang intervention program.